Mar 6, 2023 - General Membership Meeting
Mar 18, 2023 – Wild Game Dinner
Apr 3, 2023 - General Membership Meeting
Apr 12, 2023 – Farmers’ Fish Fry
May 1, 2023 - General Membership Meeting
Jun 5, 2023 - General Membership Meeting
March already... seems like I was drafting the February message only days ago... Well, February IS the shortest month of the year. March is in "Like a Lamb"... Snow plowing at month end? We all hope not. As I write this, there remains only 12 days and counting to the epic event of the year... the LaGrange Hunt Club Wild Game Dinner! Tickets are scarce so if you think you want to go act fast! Master Chef Dusty Shell has it all under control (yes Dusty?) and its going be a feast! Any last-minute volunteers will not be turned down and your help appreciated. Hope to see you there! And another special event is returning next month... Yes, Farm Members, we humbly request your presence at the Annual Farmers Fish Fry!!! Please mark your calendars for Wednesday April 12th, serving from 5PM to 7PM at the LaGrange Lions Club. Bring out the family and enjoy dinner on us and maybe, just maybe, you will win the prize drawing! We will be sure to send out a few reminders in the weeks ahead. Lastly, club members - get those renewals in so you don't miss out on any range time. Regards, Kevin
For the first time in many years, the Officers and Trustees have resigned themselves to the distasteful but necessary step of raising dues. Given this new dues schedule, we are still the cheapest Hunt and Gun club around. To reiterate, the dues schedule for 2023 will be as follows:
Regular Members (under age 65 at the beginning of 2023):Total = $175.00, comprising of dues of $125.00 plus $50.00 gun raffle tickets.
Senior Members* (age 65 and over at the beginning of 2023):Total = $150.00, comprising of dues of $100.00 plus $50.00 gun raffle tickets.
*There will be a one-time exemption for those current members who are 75 years old or older. Those current members who were born in 1947 or earlier will not see a raise in their dues – they will remain at $110.00.
There are three different methods of renewal:
1. Website: (LaGrangeHuntClub.org > Membership > Membership Application / Renewal.)
2. In person at a General Membership Meeting (See 2023 Calendar)
3. By U.S. Mail. Please mail a check or money order with the appropriate amount to:LHFCP.O. Box 131LaGrange, OH 44050
As always, you have all of 2023 to renew. However, the gate lock combinations will change on April 1st, 2023 and if you have not renewed before then, you will not have your 2023 badge and therefore will not have the new combination. So please, get your renewal in before the middle of March 2023 to avoid interruption in your access to the club grounds.Also, if you know of someone who may be interested in joining, the application for membership is available on the new website (https://lagrangehuntclub.org/membership-info/membership-form/.) They can either join directly online, or they can print the Application and Waiver and send via email (LaGrangeHuntClub@gmail.com) or via USPS to the address above.
The Junior Members Fund will provide a sponsorship to help cover the camp fees for The Lake & Trails – Youth Hunting / Shooting Camp again in 2023. Our Junior Members President, Jace Walters himself has attended all four years of this camp. Jace wants kids to go to this camp because it is a really good learning experience because you get to learn how to shoot many types of guns; including rifles, pistols, air guns, black powder and some archery items as well. You will also get the chance to throw axes, make a knife and even make primitive items. You will also learn about wildlife, how to trap, and even get your Ohio Boaters License and Hunter Safety Course if you need to. And most importantly, you get to hangout with other kids who like the outdoors like you do.
To qualify for the sponsorship you need to help out at a couple general memberhsip meetings and do a work party. Attend a general membership meeting and talk to the Junior Members President, Jace Walters for complete details and to sign up. If you would like to contact Jace email him at Recreation@JaceWalters.com
Hours of operation: 10:00am-dusk, Mon.- Sat.; 12:00pm-5:00pm, Sun.Work Parties: Will be scheduled on a weather-permitting basis. If you are able to help or contribute in some way, please contact Mike Beckwith or Roger Maynard and leave a message.
Remember to lock the gate behind you when leaving. The locks must have the combination dialed in to close, then roll the dials to lock.Make sure you review and adhere to the rules: SAFETY FIRST!! Always, Always, Always, Always! We have never had an accident at our range – don’t be the first to break this 90-year-old record! Remember your badge. Without it, you will be considered to be trespassing on club grounds and asked to leave! Sign in and sign out. Review the rules before each use of the range. They are posted on the boards. Pick up after yourselves. Police your brass and trash. Be courteous to fellow members. If you have any questions, or find a deficiency, please contact your 2021/2022 Range Marshal Mike Beckwith or Roger Maynard.
Archery Range News
Come spring, one of the first changes you will see will be in the 3D Archery range. More animals will be put out, and in a manner where they will not need to be removed in order to mow the grass. Future plans include creating a walking 3D course in order to help simulate hunting and tournament conditions. After that a slight redesign of the bag target range.
Dues Increase – Explanation and Rationale
1. The club is in need of funds to maintain grounds and make improvements2. Covid and the corresponding limitations to club activities have strained our revenue3. Mortgage on club grounds is reviewable by Huntington every 5 years. Right or wrong, they look at club finances to judge the financial health. What they are very interested in is a steady stream of income, and we tend to have a large influx of money early in the year and then deplete it as the year proceeds. The bank has the right to call the loan if they feel uncomfortable with our financial situation.4. Our club has not had a dues increase since 1996!!! If we had simply raised the dues $5 every other year since then, currentdues would be $15 higher than they are now and each member would be out an additional $455 over that period.5. Our club is still one of the cheapest around. And, unlike the others, we do not require participation in work parties, we do not charge additional funds for our pheasant release, etc.6. Due to the sparsity of participation in work parties, we are often forced to hire contractors to complete some of the work. A good example is the call to arms for tradesmen to help with the needed repairs and upgrades to the rental house. Despite the request appearing in 4 straight newsletters, we have only received 2 volunteer calls. We are probably going to have to contract some of this work, which will mean significantly higher costs.
2023 Wild Game DinnerSaturday March 18th
LaGrange Hunting and Fishing Club Wild Game Dinner
Yes! Our largest fund-raising event of the year!
And we will need your help and support to make it a success.
2023 Farm Members Appreciation Fish FryMuch like the Wild Game Dinner, the Farm Members Appreciation Fish Fry was a victim of the same social forces. We are happy to announce that the club will be reinstating these. All Farm Members are invited and encouraged to join us for this free event. The 2023 event will take place on April 12th from 5:00pm until 7:00pm. And, as has been the case, there will also be door prizes, including one big one. Unlike in the past, where the event was held at Keystone High School, this year’s event will be held at the LaGrange Lions Club, 240 Glendale Street, LaGrange, OH. We really hope to see all of our valued Farm Members there!
Big Buck Contest Winners:
• Jeff Scott (Senior Division)• Trevor Shull (Junior Division)
Calling All Tradesmen! Your Club NEEDS you!The rental house the club owns is in need of repairs. The septic system is under repair as I write this, but the house also desperately needs a bathroom remodel. We are hoping to save $$$ on this by appealing to the membership for assistance. Any plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. that are willing and able to donate some time or expert advice to the club on this projectbwould be saving us a considerable amount of our finitenfunds.P.S. – The house will also need a roof in the next few years. If you can help with that project, let us know.